Hated For All The Right Reasons
“If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you.” (John 15:18)
I’ve seen many Christians attempt to wear the world’s hatred as a badge of honor. They count it a huge win if they can get some atheist to rip them up on Twitter or in the comments on Facebook, blogs, or on YouTube. They spend hours handing out “tough love” to the homosexuals, alcoholics, adulterers, porn addicts, and all those “false converts” who disagree with them on what should be “open handed” matters of doctrine.
A whole world of people hates them, alright. So therefore they must be right… right?
Not so fast. Let’s ask a few questions.
- Is that “what” Jesus is talking about?
- Is that “who” Jesus is talking about?
- Who were the people that hated Jesus?
- Were they tax collectors, prostitutes, or drunks?
- Were they the religious outcasts of Jerusalem?
Not at all—THOSE were the people coming to Him in droves.